Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Momos

Cycle Jayaraman, (the man who introduced me to the pleasures of cycling,
and who took me on a cycling trip from Chennai to Tirupur - I gave up
after 120 Kms - but that's another story) was raving about momos he had
during his Himalayan trek. I decided to do them.

Momos are nothing but Kozhukattai, made from maida instead of rice
flour. They are very popular in the North East , probably due to the
Chinese influence. China never discovered baking ( or probably did not
use it as it uses up too much fuel) but steamed breads instead . These
are called Dim Sums and are very popular. These are rice flour or wheat
flour based Kozhukattais, filled with a variety of meat/ vegetables.

Momo is just a Dimdum and easy to make. Knead maida into a dough, roll
it into a small, thin disc, place filling and envelop it with the dough.
Steam it in a idli cooker ( or a Dim Sum steamer) without the weight,
for around 10 minutes. Serve with a hot Chutney. Took me about 20
minutes to make and the four momos I made disappeared in a flash.

1 Comments:

Blogger McKay said...

Great post. Momos are one of my favorite dishes!

I love how you translate momos into Indian terms "they're just like Kozhukattai". I remember having to do the same thing to friends & fmaily when I returned home to Canada from Tibet a year ago, describing them instead as "just like dumplings" to family in Toronto and "just like Gyoza" to my sushi-saavy Vancouver friends. And in Eastern Europeans eat pierogi dumplings usually made from potato.

Your only confusion is equating Dim Sum to steamed breads. Saying momo is a dim sum isn't totally correct. Dim sum is a Chinese meal of many small dishes, which includes a variety of steamed buns, but also fried dumplings, roasted and fried items like chicken feet and desserts.

Chinese kozhukattais are jiaozi or potstickers (don't know the chinese name for those). So momo could be a served as a dish within a Dim Sum meal, as a type of dim sum, in the same way that jiaozi dumplings and various steamed buns (e.g. baozi) are.

Wikipedia, as usual,provides useful backup (and spelling) in all this.

Mmmn, now I am getting hungry. I'll definitely help fill and cook your next batch!

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home